Meet Your Neighbour Event at Rivergate Centre 13th March 2014
Participants’ were asked to form small groups and answer four questions. After these small group discussions, a speaker from each group spoke to the whole group about their findings. The likes, dislikes and changes were collated, and also ideas were put forward about what the residents would help run if a building and funds were made available. What resulted from each group were the residents’ questions about what a Parish Council actually is. Is a Parish Council a bit too formal? What power a Parish Council would have? What could a Parish Council give to the residents? What is the difference between a Parish council, a Residents’ Association and a Community Association? One query was if there would be a financial duplicate of tithes. The general consensus was that we definitely need something to represent the residents’ on the estate.
We had three members from the Thames View Community attend. From their feedback we can ascertain that they value the sense of community that they have. What they did find hard was the lack of local development for local people.
There was no representation from the Great Fleete Estate.
Though the numbers of residents’ attending were lower than anticipated, the ideas that came across were excellent. It seemed to be a good mix of both new residents and those who had lived on the estate for more than ten years. All residents agreed that there was a lack of amenities.
What do you like about living here?
- It is quiet, peaceful and private. We like the scenery, the green areas and the water areas.
- The houses and flats are modern and well designed.
- The neighbours and the sense of community.
- The bus services.
What do you find hard about living here?
- No shops or amenities. Lack of recreational facilities.
- Lack of maintenance, including roads, and traffic is slowly getting worse including parking during the school runs.
- Cut off from other areas and problems getting on and off the estate. Transport facilities and distance from the Underground Station.
- Security of the area has changed in the past two years.
- Fly tipping and destruction of the nature reserve and surrounding area.
- Smell from recycling plant.
- Lack of fairness.
What would you like to change or what would you like to see here?
- Improvement in car parking facilities.
- Improved bus and train connections.
- Cleaning of the area.
- Change the refuse services collection times.
- Shops and a supermarket.
- Doctors’ surgery and a Health centre.
- Community Centre, Café, Gym.
- Things for the children to do, and play areas for children.
- Dog parks.
- Bridge across the River Roding to Galleons Reach.
- Introduction of the once advertised 20mph speed limit and traffic wardens.
If there was a building and funding, what would you help run or organize in this area?
- A community Centre for both adults and children.
- Groups such as Scouts and football teams.
- Youth club.
- Summer activities and games.
- Activities for senior citizens eg: bowls.
- Meet your neighbor day or festival.
- Local community newsletter.
- Fun fairs.
- Farmers Market.
- Neighbourhood watch